Skip to main content

A Website that Attracts Attention

In researching how to build a website that attracts attention most of the articles I read explain the design side.  Making sure you keep it simple, use contrast, show emotion and the list goes on.  What I was really looking to answer is how can I design a website for an Entrepreneur that does not just look like a template that everyone else is using.

Use Personalised Pictures 

I remember having my first meeting with Peggy from VIP Visas (www.vipvisas.co.za) at a coffee shop.  We spoke about the possible visas she could help people with the countries that she had dealt with.  As we spoke we soon realised there was more to just helping a person with a visa it is the guidance and walking along side someone that is overwhelmed going through is process.  

I thought back to when my husband and I went overseas, the painful experience of applying for our visas.  We could have as so many other visa companies have done, sell the destinations they can issue visas for or as we did we went with showing personalised photos of who and how Peggy can assist.  I find personalised photos tell so much of the story without even adding the words.



After going through this process I had a meeting with a possible client and showed her what I had done on the VIP Visas website. Immediately she said "I would feel so much more comfortable if that lady was helping me with a visa I hate applying for visas".

I am so put off when I see generic pictures of random people with big smiles, I call these Google/Microsoft happy faces.  Don't get me wrong there is a place for these happy pics but not when you trying to tell your story.


When using original photos we can express the experience more then just the product you are trying to sell.  When creating www.jeankeysweddings.co.za it was all about the happy couple having the day of their dreams.  The pictures needed to show how you might feel if Jean officiates your wedding.


Personalise your Message

Cindy from CM Distribution www.cmdistribution.co.za approached me to design her website.  She sells products from a number of suppliers, her concern was that customers would just go directly to her suppliers rather then buy from her.  The discussion we had was why she started this business and what she believes her strength is.  We came up with the idea of "all in one basket"  you do not have to go to a number of different websites to buy you just go to one website and can buy products from seven suppliers.

Cindy started this business because she had a need to find more holistic and organic foods due to health issues.  She wanted to offer foods from the suppliers she found along this journey.  We personalised her story knowing that there were other people also looking for alternative food options.


Designing a website with personalised pictures and message helps people relate to you and your company and the products you are selling.  It is so important to always keep in mind "what is the problem I am helping to solve"

Tracey

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How has SEO changed over time? Introducing Voice SEO

In our home we have a standard joke, “just go google”.  As our girls got older their math's and general homework become increasingly more difficult, I would send them with their questions to my husband.  Well, I thought he is a software developer he understands logical issues more than me.  The standard answer they would get from him and still is “have you googled?”. I am not sure what we did before google.  Introduction In 2016 there was a significate switch, seeing mobile and tablet usage exceeding desktop for the first time.  According to Forrester, 82% of consumers are using mobile devices to help make a product decision. As more people are rather using mobile devices for their searches, programs like Google Now, Siri, and Cortana become more popular the way we are doing these searches has changed over the years.   Voice searches have grown dramatically.   Apparently In 2020 more than 50% of all searches were done by voice searches. An interesting article  Voice-assistant-g

Does your website tell a story

We grew up with story time, many cultures use stories to pass on information and knowledge from one generation to another. It seems however when we get into the workplace we prefer to overcomplicate and use language that no one understands. Starting a story on your website The first step to creating a website is understanding your customers.  We first look at what are their concerns, needs and wants the story needs to talk to them.  We start by looking at what is the problem you are solving remember all we do is about your customer not you. Hero to Guide A few years ago I was going to start Design4Life I created the name and even had my daughter draw a picture for me. I was the hero but a few years later I had a mindset change I understood that in the hero story there was only place for one hero and that should always be the client.  The three main characters in any good story is a  hero, villain and guide.   When I think of a guide I always think of someone that helps one navigate ter